|“||Murphy's Law. Boom!||”|
— Melissa Chase
Confident and self-assured, Melissa is smart, if sometimes a little scattered: for instance, she is prone to forgetting her personal belongings, such as her student discount card ("The Undergrounders") or her math book ("The Math Book").
Melissa was the first person brave enough to befriend Milo and is fiercely loyal and supportive of him. Even though Milo says that he doesn't think anyone would call him "tough", she does in front of Bradley and his friends ("Going the Extra Milo").
She's calm and controlled and loves when Murphy's Law shakes things up. She seems to enjoy betting on the results of Murphy's Law, and she often wins. She made a bet with Bradley and everyone who was interested that Milo and Zack would reach school on time. She won and replaced Milo's and Zack's destroyed lunches with the winnings. ("Going the Extra Milo") On another occasion, she bet Zack that Milo and his father being in the same place would increase the danger and won a dollar from him ("Worked Day").
She says that a tremendous portion of her self-esteem depends on her school grades. She also doesn't like egg puns ("Sunny Side Up"). She wants to become a 'journalist/queen of the Universe'. ("Worked Day")
Melissa is a slender girl with light skin and shoulder-length, wavy, ginger hair. Her blue eyes have visible pupils, and she's usually seen wearing a smug expression. Having caught a pop-fly to the face, her two front teeth are fake, though they cannot be differentiated from her other teeth ("Secrets and Pies").
She wears a white, elbow-length jacket with an upturned collar over a black shirt. The pink of her skirt matches that of her sneakers, which extend nearly as high as her socks.
Melissa is close to her father but tends to get annoyed when he expresses his disdain for Milo.
- Main article: Melissa and Milo's Relationship
Melissa is close friends with Milo and has known him for years. She has complete faith in Milo's ability to get himself and his friends through any situation Murphy's Law throws at them and is, by extension, one of the only people in his life to hang out with him free of fear. She always stands up for him when he needs it and gives him encouragement anytime he begins doubting himself.
- Main article: Zack and Melissa's Relationship
Having met through Milo when Zack first came to their school, the two are close friends. While Melissa has had years of experience with Murphy's Law and is, by nature, brave and fearless, Zack tends to be more nervous and realistic when things go wrong. She often encourages him to relax and see the fun in their adventures.
Bradley shows an interest in Melissa, often trying to spend time with her away from the danger surrounding Milo. While she is open to his attempts at friendship, Melissa would prefer to hang out with Milo, much to Bradley's disdain.
Mort and Melissa are on friendly terms with each other. They are both members of the band Just Getting Started, with Melissa on bass and Mort on drums.
Amanda and Melissa are on friendly terms with each other. Melissa is aware of Milo's interest in Amanda and has gone out of her way to keep things going relatively smooth when they hang out. Melissa has used Amanda's obsession with order against her, but Amanda calls her out when she does so.
Melissa is often annoyed by Chad's antics and tends to scold him for strange behaviors, such as rising up from behind her desk and constantly claiming that Mr. Drako is a vampire.
Melissa is friends with Lydia. They have each other's cell phone numbers and the latter once invited her to go to the mall via video message.
Melissa is on good terms with Milo's sister and enjoys hanging out with her. They've ended up on a number of adventures together.
Melissa is generally neutral towards Elliot in spite of his disdain for Milo, but she is not afraid to argue with him when he gets out of hand. She's used his obsession with safety to her advantage on a number of occasions.
While Melissa doesn't know Cavendish and Dakota very well, she is on friendly terms with them. She often seems apprehensive of their strange antics. Originally, she confronted them after Chad convinced her that the duo were vampire hunters, and she'd agreed with his assumption that they were there to hurt Mr. Drako. This impression didn't last long, and Milo officially introduced them to her, Zack, and Sara in the episode Missing Milo.
|The image gallery for "Melissa Chase" may be viewed here.|
- Melissa is named after creator Dan Povenmire's youngest daughter, similar to how Isabella on Phineas and Ferb was named after his oldest daughter.
- So far, Melissa was absent twice in "Time Out" and "Disco Do Over" and had only a minor role in "We're Going to the Zoo".
- In "Party of Peril", Mort asks Melissa if her dad was a paramedic, and she answers "yes", but in "Worked Day", Melissa's dad is confirmed to work as a fireman. This could possibly be because real-life firefighters are trained as paramedics and first-responders.
- In "Murphy's Lard", Melissa reveals that she has a fear of rollercoasters after one suspended by a helicopter with a magnet nearly fell on her on the first day of the previous summer. It appears to have been the roller coaster built by Phineas and Ferb in their pilot episode, "Rollercoaster".
- Melissa is one of only seven characters whose eyes have pupils.
- In "Missing Milo", it is revealed that Melissa has a room filled with pictures of Milo, his incidents, and some of his past possessions. She claims that she is using them to better understand Murphy's Law.
- Interestingly, Melissa seems to be drawn after her voice actress.
- Her mom doesn't appear to be around, and her dad, Richard, appears to be raising her as a single parent.
- So far, she is the only main character to not have a love interest.
- Melissa is the only main character without siblings, as she appears to be an only child.
- Her classmate, Bradley appears to have a slight, unrequited crush on her.
- Her clothes match that of a girl in Phineas and Ferb: The BEST LIVE Tour EVER!
- Melissa has some similarities to Lana Loud from The Loud House:
- Both are tomboys.
- Both have a gap between their front teeth. However, unlike Lana, Melissa covers her gap.
- Both have a close relationship with the main protagonist.
- Both have encountered someone that resembles them.
- Both are experts on something complex.
“No thanks. I've got an adequate duffer zone.”
“I'll be on the ground crew. Good luck, guys. And FYI, a tremendous portion of my self-esteem is wrapped up in my grade point average, but, you know, no pressure. ”
“Don't worry Milo, we'll help you find that note.”
“When I was little I wanted to be a journalist or queen of the universe.”
“I wouldn't want you two to think any less of me.”
“I started collecting this, thinking maybe I could figure it out, you know? Find a cure for Murphy's law. But then I realized Milo wouldn't want that. But, for some reason, I kept collecting info, so at least, maybe, I could rein it in or explain it or monetize it.”
|Milo Murphy's Law characters|